Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thank you Lesley for giving me my birdcage die back!

...as I remembered what it was I wanted to do with it!



and a little closer up...



and a 'birds eye view' from above...



I saw this idea at Colemans last month, and I didnt photo it...I thought to myself - no need, I will make that as soon as I get home...only to remember that my dies were living somewhere else for a bit...aaaggghhh! I eventually wrestled my dies back from our Lesley - I felt your pain Lesley - but needs must, my dies needed to come home lol!

Anyway, Im not sure I remembered the birdcage right as Im sure the sample on the table at Colemans looked different to this...but no matter, Im really very pleased with how it turned out!

I used good black card for the die-cuts, and small tabs of black paper glued where they wouldnt show to join the cage parts. Strips of paper, and a square made a floor and I folded a strip over the 'branch' of the birdie die to stick it to the floor. For the top, I used a black brad pushed from underneath through the holes at the top of the cage die-cuts and splayed this out at the top - being black it doesnt show, especially once you thread ribbon through to hang. I added some lovely tiny ivy (bought at Colemans), and a couple of butterflies to the outside. Thinking about it, I think the ivy might look nice inside with the birdie? I added large jump rings with beads attached to the holes around the bottom of the cage...and voila!

It was a little fiddly but great fun to do...and I challenge all of you with your unopened birdcage dies to have a go! lol! Im thinking it might look good made with card which has been embossed with Tim Holtz distress powders...mmm!

I would never have thought to use this die in this way if I hadnt seen it at Colemans, I just dont have a good enough imagination. If, on your blog hopping travels, any of you gals come across more natty ideas using die-cuts that are a bit off the wall - do point me to them wont you!

Have a great Sunday folks, and make the most of the cool weather - another heatwave is on its way....sigh!

Sue x

14 comments:

dottygin said...

its fabulous sue, i love it. i havent seen anything like this before. its going to look great in your emporium.
hugs gina xxxxxxxxx

SusieJ said...

First - what cold weather?!! Weve had rain but it's still warm and muggy here.
Second - wow!!! Fabulous project Sue! It looks stunning and the ivy and butterfly just add that little bit extra.
If my hands cooperate I'll try this - I have used my bird cage die - but mainly for samples for other people!
Enjoy your Sunday.
Hugs,
Sue xx

Anonymous said...

Sue I'm really loving this bird cage the colours really go. I'm thinking that this needs to be an office bird cage as we can't have a bird table outside the window for all our lovely feathered visitors. Now you've done this one I bet there will be a whole row of different ones before long.

Hope the crossy goes well today if you have time to do it with all the crafting going on.

Hip healing sparkles xx

tea_bag said...

Wow, Sue thats so cute, what a good idear and so neat how did you stick them together ? just wonderful hugs alma xx

Netty said...

Oh wow Sue, this is fabulous, love what you have created. Its not true you don't have whacky ideas, I have seen some of your scrapbook pages over the last couple of years and you do whacky very well.....lol Enjoy your day, tweet tweet, Annette x

Carole said...

Oh my goodness, this is fabulous! I would never have thought to use the die in this way - you can always rely on Sue to inspire us all!

Hugs - Carole xxx

CoventryAnn said...

I LOVE this Sue... feel the need to use my die again!!!

DGgirl said...

Hi Sue

Your dimensional birdcage is sooo cute. I saw this done in a magazine somewhere but I'm blowed if I can remember where or when but be assured yu'll be the first to know if I can find it again.

Gillxxx

CoventryAnn said...

I LOVE this idea Sue, feel the need to break out my die again!!!

sue-bubbles said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I will try to make another and take step-by-step photos of how I did it....then one of you can tell me how I could have done it easier/better lol!
Sue x

Hi it's Maria said...

fab cage sue, it looks so fiddly, I love it, well done,,,

maria xx

Anonymous said...

Sue it is gorgeous and your imagination is wonderful I bet!

SueB said...

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Sue, you clever gal! This is just fab!!!!!!!
Suzie xxxxx :)

Sue C said...

Wow Sue this is great! What a brilliant idea! Sue C x