Saturday, March 20, 2010

The UP-side of having false teeth and other inky antics!

No really, I do not have false teeth....although my goodness, I think that would have been preferable to never ending torture my dentist is putting me through - but I do have access to all manner of packaging which I am regularly liberating from work.

And this week, the lucky victim of the sue-bubbles recycle treatment was....




The Steradent display carton!

The minute I saw it, I was thinking....mmmm....Im guessing my Tim Holtz inks might just fit nicely in there - and what do you know, it was perfect!

I tested out different inks and colours on the underside, and found that the waterbased ones just disappeared into the polystyrene. But the alcohol ones worked a treat...good old alcohol eh! So I applied cranberry alcohol ink to the outside and top, and used some gold acrylic paint in the holes....just like this:



Now I dont know if I was just being impatient, but the acrylic paint just didnt want to dry. No worries - to the rescue came the Mod Podge!!! I coated the whole thing in the magic glue, and added a band of pinky paper to the outside...again Mod Podging over the top...thus:



I then told myself...'step away from the Steradent carton...allow it time to dry!', and I took myself off for a lovely long soak in some Christmas bubbles, and hooray...I came back to it well on its way to being dry!

I had my doubts at this stage however, if it would turn out pretty or a blooming great mess - but then I rootled for some vintage looking lace, and a Prima flower...and VOILA!



And here it is modelling a couple of inks...



I have to say, I am well chuffed with it! BUT...there is a problem...I do not have enough inks to fill it!!!!!! Oh no...I think that means I will have to go shopping...ha ha ha ha!

To continue with the Tim Holtz obsession, and to make use of some canvas on a roll that I bought in the 99p store some time ago - I made a canvas dotee...




I inked the body of dotee with green and red, and stamped vines using Stazon ink. The face is canvas inked up with 'tattered rose' ink, embroidered in my usual way and blanket stitched to the body using gold thread.

Here is a piccie of her rear so you can see the stamping...


Then...I went bonkers with beads, sequins, the odd button and whatever else I could lay my hands on, and I stitched her together right side out as the canvas would be too stiff to turn....I had to keep those stitches neat!

Having forgotten to add a ribbon at the sewing together stage, I punched a hole in her head (sorry dotee!) through which I threaded some twine for hanging. I didnt stop there - I tried out some clear crackle glaze here and there, but this seemed to soak in and didnt crackle, so I went over this with Rock Candy stickles - you can never have too much sparkle!

She's a bit mad, but a happy experiment!




Fancy some more inky stuff...? Here are some cards I made this week...







Not bad for a weeks work eh...phew!

Its been a busy old week - I worked 5 whole mornings...and for a lazy person like me, that really is going some! I had yet another visit to the dentist (aaaggggh!), with more to follow in April, x-rays on my hip....which appear to have cured my hip (?), oh and Dad exploded a plate this week by turning on the wrong hob! BUT...I did get out of the trauma of going shopping with him as he had to wait in for the new PC to arrive from Dell - oh joy! So I survived the week and enjoyed getting into a right inky mess into the bargain!

I think thats all for now folks...thank you for popping by, oh and BTW...only FIVE more sleeps!!!!

Sue x

14 comments:

SueB said...

AMAZING SUE!!!!!!!!!

I just adore everything, and love the way you write too, you always make me giggle!
You have such a great eye for things Sue, the transformation of your ink holder is just wonderful, and has the most perfect vistage look too! I'm sure Tim would be very impressed, as am I!!!

Your little dottee is soooo lovely (as always!) so many wonderful beads! Looks like a lot of work whet into making her Sue, she's wonderful!!!

As for those cards, WOW!!!!! I just adore them!!! You really have found a way of creating such a wonderful new and interesting look with all your TH stash Sue. I love those little birds and trees! Love, love, love them all!!! I may have to start pinching some of your amazing ideas!

Lovely to see you crafting away in your emporium again Sue, as always your work is just sooooo inspirational! I adore it all!!!!!

Suzie xxxxxx :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Well done Sue, the ink container is lovely, the cards, too. I would have enough inks to fill several....

tea_bag said...

Wow Sue you have been busy I must admit when I saw the sterdent package empty before scrolling down I thought now that will never look good But as always you pulled a stunning creation out of the bag perhaps you could make these as gifts how fab are they and so useful Also that dotee is so good she has style and is so different love her I also love your card I have that flower sizzix die and have never been very happy with it but it looks fab on your card Love all of it hugs alma xx only 5 more sleeps ...lol

Anonymous said...

OMG ! only you Sue could do such a good job.
Well Saturday will be a trip to Coleman's & only 5 more sleeps to your trip to John Lewis lol.....
The cards are fabulous and so clever with the effect you are creating.
Don't miss me to much this week and at least there is no promo however on graybags birthday 24th it's the budget :( lot's of price changes only 1 day for you :)& 2 days for Lee (sorry Lee )anyway back to crafting and have a fab week "you know it makes sense"
Sending lot's of sparkles Lesley xx

Hi it's Maria said...

WOW sue, fab craft bits. love your dotee, she is so sparkles and colourful, I love her...

and well done in your experimenting, with the canvas, cards and the box...

maria xx

SusieJ said...

Stunning work Sue! You def. need more inks to fill that holder - would be a shame not to fill it after all that work!lol
Loving the canvas dotee too.
Sue xx

dottygin said...

sue you have been busy, there fabulous. your really getting the hang of using th goodies.

love your home for your bottles of inks, and yes you will have to buy somemore now. lol

your dottee doll is gorgeous, and your cards are beautiful. well done.

gina xxxxxxxx

DGgirl said...

Hi Sue

More fab work missus! Can you give some thought to a recycled storage container for my distress ink pads please? Am buying them one a week at the moment!

I love your canvas dottee - she is absolutely gorgeous - I think Tim would love her and soooo approve.

Not long now until your visit to John Lewis - whoopee!!!

Right must get backl to the shed before my mojo goes awol!!

Keep up the good work!

Gillxxx

p.s. where did you get the stamp for the birthday card sentiment - I need that?!!!!! LOL

p.p.s. - my verification word is inknou - do you think Blogger is telling me something?

Anonymous said...

PS it's your apprentice here meant to say the dotee is fabulous too !!!!
Lot's of hugs Lesley xxx

Crafting to stay sane! said...

Wow you have been busy Sue! I love love love the dotee she is gorgeous! The cards are lovely too! And as for the TH ink storage what a brilliant idea!
Have a great week!
hugs Alyson x

CoventryAnn said...

Fab projects Sue, you have been busy!!!!
Try eBay for the inks, I picked up a load from there!!! (Not that i am encouraging you to shop, you understand!!)

cannycrafter said...

Wow! Go Sue and her liberated packaging!!!! That is so cute!! You may need to take orders! Lol!! But then I have no inks either!!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm really impressed. Having been there the morning you rescued that container thinking to my self nothings going to stick to that.... how wrong I was. I'm going to have to go round the whole store now looking for more difficult things for you to improve At least it will take our minds of that "bloody" zapping what with the chancellor doing his best to make our job harder this week.

Oh well see you with the BSM handset in the morning.

Love & sparkles

Lee xxxx

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning artwork, Sue! I LOVE love love your recycled project, and gorgeous cards, but my fave has to be the beautiful arty dotee. I have tons of that canvas on a roll, how on earth did you get it to be flexible enough to sew (I'd realy love to know!)?
Keep it up, girl!
Hugs,
Maria xx