Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Move over hyacinths...Im in an altering kind of mood!

If Im not evicting kitties out of baskets, Im chucking bulbs out of boxes...!

I bagged a nice little bargain at work some weeks ago - a lovely wooden box filled with hyacinth bulbs - it was reduced as all the peat had tipped out [it wasnt me guv!]

I brought it home and said "Here you are Dad, a prezzie for you.......but I want the wooden box back when you are done!" lol! Well, we enjoyed the beautiful blooms...and dont they smell so divine, and then I got to work and it turned out like this:



It needed a good scrub, then I applied some ink, mostly where the paint had peeled right off, heat embossed in copper here there and everywhere..then I stuck on some random bits and bobs from my bits and bob box. I coated the whole thing with matte mod podge and added some clear crackle glaze and some sepia accents in places. The wonderful thing about the 'distressed look' is that it can turn out rather tatty and manky in places - and thats a GOOD thing lol!

I have filled it with the beautiful cards and tags that I received for my birthday [slide show will be along shortly...promise], and it sits by my desk as a wonderful source of inspiration...much nicer than tucking them in a drawer!

My green-loving friend Alma asked to see more angles of my altered box, so here is a little slide show with befores, durings and afters...

7 comments:

SusieJ said...

Fabulous Sue! And how nice to have your cards and tags to hand.
Sue xx

tartantaz said...

You are a clever girl indeed. It really does look fabulous. Great job Sue as always.

T x

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely idea, well done! Keep up the good work of filling your craft room....

dottygin said...

wow its fabulous sue, it looks great. what a good idea for your incomming cards and tags. and a bonus your dad got some lovely bulbs as well.
i do that with biscuits, give as a prezzie and asks if they dont want the tin, can i have it?. and iv have bought biscuits, just for the tin. i think your guilty of that too.
lol lol
gina xxxxxxxxx

Chriss Rollins said...

fab alteration and must say I also love the altered steradent holder.

thanks for sharing.

have some blog candy up for grabs on my ATC club blog.

chriss x

Anonymous said...

Wow Sue what a gorgeous box only you can do what you do best & that is make a lovely miss bubbles invention,it's fabulous.
Take care and sending sparkles
Lesley xx

Hi it's Maria said...

love the box sue, you've done a fab job, would never have thought it was the same box, well done...

maria xx